swiss replica watchesreplica watches
80% of the replica watches uk market watch business, will be outsourced to replica watches Japan, Switzerland, several large factories to swiss replica watches produce. Today, Patek Philippe is the swiss replica watches only independent watch factory in Switzerland, the production line completely arranged their own. 20% use machine cutting, the rest of the eight is the use of hand.
Yukon-Eagle • View topic - Burning Plastic Odar

Yukon-Eagle

Wood furnace and wood burning forums

Skip to content

Burning Plastic Odar

Come here to see how to fix your furnace or replace parts.

Burning Plastic Odar

Postby NHWoodBurner » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi,

We are getting an awful odar from our woodburning Super-Jack Yukon furnace. We had it installed in December of 2008. We chose this furnace because we use to have a duofuel Yukon. I believe it was a Grizzly. (could be wrong). We also had a gas furnace installed too.

All last year the new furnace was emitting this toxic-like smell. We figured it to be part of the 'burn-in' process and put up with it all season. However this year we are getting the same smell. I had the company who installed it, come out and check it yesterday. Last night it was worst then ever.

Is there something we are doing wrong? Did the installer install it incorrectly? Is this typical of the Super-Jack Furnace and if so, how can we eliminate the odar?

thanks
nhwoodburner
NHWoodBurner

Re: Burning Plastic Odar

Postby Keith Nelson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:06 pm

Do you have any plastic ducting?
Yukon Eagle Sales & Service
800-358-0060
..."if you have integrity nothing else matters....if you don't have it....still nothing else matters!"
Keith Nelson

Postby pjeleson » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:48 am

We are having the same exact problem. We purchased our home last February and never had this problem for the couple months we burned wood. Tonight is the second time we've had the smell and I'm concerned there is some type of fire. It makes me want to get a heat pump and be done with it. Obviously this is something that must happen with some installations.
pjeleson

Postby Keith Nelson » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:43 pm

There is no plastic in the furnace.There are some oils impregnated in the steel that will burn off in the 1st few fires as the steel cures.
If there's a plastic smell then there has to be some issue with the install as to ducting.If there's an a/coil for a/c hooked to the ducting that could be what your smelling or if there's any plastic heating runs that could be the issue.
The smell does not come from the furnace and I'd be looking elsewhere for the cause.
I can understand your frustration....who'd want to smell that? I know I wouldn't.
I own a Jack and I've never smelled plastic and really through the tech service we provide we do not hear of such a thing. So check your ducting and or the other furnace if there is one tied into the ducting.
There should be back flow dampers installed to prevent heats from backing up into your other furnace.
800-358-0060
..."if you have integrity nothing else matters....if you don't have it....still nothing else matters!"
Keith Nelson

Postby NHDAN » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:05 am

I'm sure you all have figured this out by now but I'll bet an A/C coil in the duct work has a plastic pan under it ...Dumb &$$ installers can never come up with a metal pan...
NHDAN

Postby Keith Nelson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:22 pm

NHDAN wrote:I'm sure you all have figured this out by now but I'll bet an A/C coil in the duct work has a plastic pan under it ...Dumb &$$ installers can never come up with a metal pan...

You hit the nail on the head Dan...."I've been in the business for 30 years"well I'll see more misinstalls from these guys than if homeowners install their own.You see not knowing much homeowners will follow the directions...... :roll:
800-358-0060
Keith Nelson

Postby civilburner » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Strange,
I'm experiencing the same thing too. a metal "curing" or burn in period takes place. I just used the furnace for the second time last night and the smell is there.

I do have an A/C coil (which I cleaned) prior to installation and I did remove the plastic drip pan and had a stainless steel pan custom made for the furnace.

I guess my question is, how long should this "burn in smell" last?
civilburner

Postby Keith Nelson » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:19 pm

Get it good and hot and it will be gone.
800-358-0060
Keith Nelson

Postby shrtct » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:43 am

Keith Nelson wrote:
NHDAN wrote:I'm sure you all have figured this out by now but I'll bet an A/C coil in the duct work has a plastic pan under it ...Dumb &$$ installers can never come up with a metal pan...

You hit the nail on the head Dan...."I've been in the business for 30 years"well I'll see more misinstalls from these guys than if homeowners install their own.You see not knowing much homeowners will follow the directions...... :roll:

If you look at all the ac coils today they come in plastic. metal and water does not mix. Most will replace the condensate pan in a few years because the pans trap water in them. For someone to install a system with a metal pan would pay alot more money to have the pan made. 99.9% of the systems out there do not burn wood. And i bet the smell that most are getting is the spewing that you talk about.
shrtct

Postby Keith Nelson » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:14 pm

You can not install plastic into ducting serving a high heat appliance like a wood burner...period so metal becomes the option and although it does cost a bit more I'm fully confident the thousands of dollars not spent with liquid fuel will certainly reimburse that investment.
800-358-0060
Keith Nelson

Next

Return to FAQ's and tech helps