swiss replica watchesreplica watches
80% of the replica watches uk market watch business, will be outsourced to replica watches Japan, Switzerland, several large factories to swiss replica watches produce. Today, Patek Philippe is the swiss replica watches only independent watch factory in Switzerland, the production line completely arranged their own. 20% use machine cutting, the rest of the eight is the use of hand.
Yukon-Eagle • View topic - how much wood to load

Yukon-Eagle

Wood furnace and wood burning forums

Skip to content

how much wood to load

Come here to see how to fix your furnace or replace parts.

how much wood to load

Postby spavlik » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:33 pm

We have had our eagle 1 for one year now. I am still not sure how much wood to load at a time. We have been loading two or three pieces every 2-4 hours depending on the temp.(UPSTATE NY) I hear people sayiny that they load only twice a day. This confuses me because if we load a large amount of wood at a time then the house temp will sky rocket above the temp. we set on the thermostat. R we doing somthing wrong or is there an adjustment that needs to be made to the furnace? Keith R U THERE...
spavlik

Re: how much wood to load

Postby Keith Nelson » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:47 pm

I'm here alright...sounds like you need to have your furnace adjusted as in the barometric draft regulator.
Has it been set with a manometer to .03" of water column?
Set too fast it can create a situation of uncontrollable amount of heat on bigger loads.

It could also be that your your blower is set to blow too fast. The manual calls for 70-80 degree difference between the hot air coming out and the cold air returning.

It's also possible that the thermostat is improperlly located.

Please follow the manual in setting up your furnace. It should cure your problem.
If it doesn't ....please call me as there must be a reason why.
I'll need to talk to you to see what's what. :ugeek:

I've also moved this to the FAQ topic area.
Yukon Eagle Sales & Service
800-358-0060
..."if you have integrity nothing else matters....if you don't have it....still nothing else matters!"
Keith Nelson

Postby spavlik » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:03 pm

Yes the regulator was set with a manometer to .03 and I believe the thermostat is in the perfect location. May be I'm getting all worked up over nothing because The size of our home is approx. 2300 Slighty drafty and we burned 20 face cord while keeping the temp @ 72-75 almost consistantly. We started burning wood mid Oct.- mid april. The issue is,isit ok to load it up before bed or work and expect it to burn efficiantly all day or night? I think it was Joe who handled our sale and he expressed that small hot fires are better than large cooler burns.
spavlik

Postby Keith Nelson » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:29 pm

7 full cords of wood sounds about right assuming it was hard wood.
Joe is correct in what he said.A hotter fire will burn cleaner.
A small load when it's mild outside is better,however when it gets cold and the call for heat is higher a larger load will operate just fine.

I'll admit burning wood can cause creosote. You can also heat 24/7 on wood staying away from writting that check to buy liquid fuel.So if you are paying yourself to heat instead of giving your cash away,you win.
It's your choice which is why you bought the furnace .
Wood does take more labor to operate then does gas or oil, but the rewards are much greater.
In my case I do get into some smoldering and yes I have to clean my flue yearly but with no propane usage what so ever I can handle cleaning out my flue.
I could get a cleaner burn ,but then my house would get too hot.
I refuse to load in the middle of the night so I'll load it up.
I also love having a bed of coals in the morning to refire a load instead of relighting every morning.

I know your furnace can heat your entire home,but you have some choices to make.
I will add it's nice to have options.
800-358-0060
..."if you have integrity nothing else matters....if you don't have it....still nothing else matters!"
Keith Nelson

Postby spavlik » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Yep its nice having the house nice and warm,before the would furnace came it cost us a fortune in oil to keep the house at 68. I have another question that might be related. How often should I have to clean out the secondary heat exchanger? December 1st, I checked it and I couldn't believe how full the inside was of lite cobweb type matter and the black creo material. After that I have been cleaning it once a month. Again is this normal? Yes all Hard wood cut, split and stacked in march then used for upcoming winter.
spavlik

Postby Keith Nelson » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:13 pm

I'm thinking your wood needs to be dryer.
9 months is not long enough especially with oak.
A full year to two will make a difference is how clean your furnace operates plus you'll make way more btu's from the same wood.
Cleaning the secondary every month can be normal especially with wetter wood.

If you really want to get dialed in a moisture meter is the ticket!
You'll always know exactly where the water level in your wood is.
20% is the target.
800-358-0060
Keith Nelson

Postby spavlik » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:49 pm

your telling me somthing I suspected from the start, but all my wood burning friends were telling me the 9 months will be fine. So i'm gonna get another 20 F-cord now for the next 2011 season.This season I'll just clean more often.
spavlik

Postby Keith Nelson » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:19 pm

It doesn't matter what anyone says about wood dryness. A moisture meter reading 20% or less is all that is important.
800-358-0060
Keith Nelson

Postby Joe-Yukon Rep » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:41 pm

I believe this will help:
Never load the wood above the top of the bottom row of firebrick.
Start a fire with smaller pieces and then add larger ones until you develop a bed of hot coals. Now you can add large pieces (i.e. 8” diameter) they burn very long.
In warmer weather have a shallow bed of hot coals and in cold weather have a deep bed of hot coals.
Set the thermostat at your desired room temperature (let’s assume 72*)
If you put in too much wood, the room temp will skyrocket and the thermostat will close the damper door. Then the wood will go down to a low burn and then farther down to a smolder and then you will have a cold chimney, smoke and CREOSOTE
Never let the wood smolder.
Less wood will give you more heat – trust me.
Put in less wood. Let the thermostat cause the damper door to open then close, then open then close, then open then close, etc --- cycling.
This will give you a high burn low burn cycle. You will have a continuous bed of glowing hot coals and mostly level heat throughout your home.
Additionally, you will have little if any creosote because the chimney will always be warm.
The Eagle wood burner is a furnace – not a stove – it has been thoroughly tested and is “UL Listed”. We know what it will do.
Be certain to have seasoned wood =< 20% moisture. Set the draft at .03” of WC when the furnace is heating and the thermostat is calling for heat. .
Have the dial on the face plate above the firedoor OPEN 3 turns. This puts air in above the fire and burns off the smoke. (This is a patented afterburn feature) As much as 40% of the heat is in this smoke.
At this stage – you will have some serious heat coming out of this furnace. There is a lot of thermal mass (steel and firebrick). The wood should burn slowly and completely and last a long time.
Check the fan limit control settings. Try fan ON at 150*, OFF at 110* Hi limit at 250* You can change this a little as desired. Whatever works best in your home.
When storing the wood - shelter only the top – let the air & sun flow through the pile so it can dry it out. I have seen piles of wood fully cloaked with a tarp and after time the wood is full of ants, mice, mildew, moisture and is pretty much useless.
Enjoy – Joe :D
sales & service
joe@yukon-eagle.com
800 358 0060
Joe-Yukon Rep

Postby pshel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:22 am

I have learn alot since you guys started this forum, please keep the tips coming!! I can wait to put all the suggestions to practice this heating season.
pshel

Next

Return to FAQ's and tech helps