swiss replica watchesreplica watches
80% of the replica watches uk market watch business, will be outsourced to replica watches Japan, Switzerland, several large factories to swiss replica watches produce. Today, Patek Philippe is the swiss replica watches only independent watch factory in Switzerland, the production line completely arranged their own. 20% use machine cutting, the rest of the eight is the use of hand.
Yukon-Eagle • View topic - Best coal size

Yukon-Eagle

Wood furnace and wood burning forums

Skip to content

Best coal size

Best coal size

Postby NHDAN » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:03 pm

I have always (3 years) used nut size coal in my Eagle 1...Seems to work fine. When I contacted a new coal dealer for this winter, he seemed surprised I was using nut...He asked me several times if I was sure that is what I wanted. He does not have the coal on hand right now he says he will get what ever I want, he just wants to make sure I get what I need.

I have had trouble keeping my coal burn going for days at a time. I had a stove before this furnace, My coal only fire would stay burning for weeks on end. I restart pretty much from scratch each day with my Eagle...it is so simple and easy to relight I never gave it much thought. I have thought about fooling with coal size...Sometimes my fire will burn really well...going for several days just add more coal. My shaker grate is broken so I rake the ash through.... the raking upsets the coal fire so I try to stay to out of the area of the best burning. Most days I rake the ash, throw in three pieces of wood the toss in a bag of coal and I'm good to go for 14-18 hours. No complaints but if there is a better way I'd love to hear it...
NHDAN

Re: Best coal size

Postby Keith Nelson » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:32 pm

I'd like to verify that your draft is set to .03" of water column and that you have make up air for the combustion process.
Nut or bigger coal is just fine. You are correct that stirring the bed of coals does disturb the burn .
I'd reccomend that you replace your grate.
The posts can break if you are bottoming out the handle when going from side to side. It is better to do short push pulls on that handle or better yet a fast jiggle of the handle sifts the ash without disturbing the coal bed.
Yukon Eagle Sales & Service
800-358-0060
..."if you have integrity nothing else matters....if you don't have it....still nothing else matters!"
Keith Nelson

Postby Joe-Yukon Rep » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Hello NHDAN, Do you have an opinion as to why the coal would burn for weeks on end in the old stove but not in the new furnace? What is different? Airflow? Or lack of it? Air above the burn or below the burn? I have heard this before and I believe there are others who would like to know also. Maybe we can come up with the answer. How do you start your coal fire so easily?
sales & service
joe@yukon-eagle.com
800 358 0060
Joe-Yukon Rep

Postby NHDAN » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks for the info...I have not measured my draft. Can you have too much draft?...When I open the furnace door I can feel the draft even when the furnace is not lit off. I believe I have suffucient make up air my furnce is located just off my garage, doors are not very tight...I will most likely get a new grate may take a shot at fixing this one...I was pretty gentle with it I was really surprised when it broke, twice...The easy relight is because I'm lazy, I put in a 1/2 bag of coal, throw in a few sticks of wood, the rest of the bag of coal more wood, (just a couple sticks)...let the oil fire light the wood, wood lights the coal and I'm off...I use very little oil just 10 minute blast at most...works every time. This relight procedure is so simple ...I hated the relight with my old stove...took for ever...I may relight a lot because I don't worry about having to relight like I did with the stove.

I'm not sure why my stove would burn for weeks on end just adding coal...I may let this fire burn down too far...mostly due to my schedule, but I had the same schedule when I had the stove. I have a much more complete burn with this furnace...very fine ash never any, clinkers...any way I love this furnace...I just want to make sure I am running it right...
NHDAN

Postby Joe-Yukon Rep » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:48 pm

Hello NHDAN, Thanks for your reply. It does sound like you have a lot of draft. I know coal burning people who want to know more about the best draft to use. Please tell us more. Do you have the cookie open? This is the round dial on the face plate just above the firedoor. This should be open 2 or more turns while burning wood. Do you you have the themostat wired in? Is it calling for heat? Is the dramper door open at the this time? Have you ever set the draft speed with a menometer? Many thanks for your input.
sales & service
joe@yukon-eagle.com
800 358 0060
Joe-Yukon Rep

Postby Keith Nelson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:58 pm

For the furnace to run the way it was intended to operate there are a few processes that need to be complied with.
The 1st is allowing the proper amount of make up air into the room the furnace is operating in.
If you look in the manual
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/EAG ... fault.aspx
on page 29 it will show you how to install your make up air.
Failure to provide this air will create a mini vacuum in the room the furnace is operating in causing the coal to go out.
On page 26 you will find that the furnace comes with a barometric draft regulator .This device controls the draft speed.
Set too fast and the burn times are too short and you could burn out your furnace,too slow and the fire will go out and potentially cause massive condensation .Back drafting could also become an issue.

These furnaces are to be set up as per the manual for a reason. If they are not it is common for the customer to be short changed in one fashion or the other.
Please review the pages I've listed and comply with it's recommendations.I'm sure you'll see an improvement in the way it operates.
Yukon Eagle Sales & Service
800-358-0060
..."if you have integrity nothing else matters....if you don't have it....still nothing else matters!"
Keith Nelson

Postby NHDAN » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks again for the info...I have excellent make up air no issue there. I do run with the "cookie open I will close that next time I light off...I will make sure my draft is set properly...My thermostat is working well...the damper control is excellent. I do not over fire the unit...my stack temp is quite comfortable. Not to hot , not to cold...When I first got started I had a thermometer on the uptake...I was worried about a high exhaust temp .I'm comfortable it is firing properly. I think the shaker grate is my only issue..I will fix or replace that and be ready for winter...Thank you all for your input I appreciate it very much...
NHDAN

Postby Joe-Yukon Rep » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Thanks - NHDAN - I am trusting others are learning from your input.
sales & service
joe@yukon-eagle.com
800 358 0060
Joe-Yukon Rep

Re: Best coal --

Postby afjerry » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:35 am

NHDAN

I have successfully burned coal for a couple month last year. Once I got the hang of it, I would rather burn coal any day over wood. This year I got lots of wood free, so looks like I will be burning wood. Here my tips on burning coal. Notice I say "never,never,never touch or poke the coal" that will kill it faster than anything...

I go 12 hours on a single load, shake it (like you sifting sand thru a screen - 20 short vigourus shakes), remove the ash, add more coal, shake again until you SEE HOT COALS in the ash pan, and your done until 12 more hours. I get no smells, no smoke, seems very clean indeed. I set the temperature to 70 degrees and it regulates it exactly there. What more can you ask for in a fuel.

The trick to the whole process for coal is to first follow the starting instructions, make sure the entire box has coal in it, coal must have air from the bottom to burn and if you do not cover the box the air will go around it. THE KEY "NOT EXPLAINED" IN THE INSTRUCTIONS IS TO PILE THE COAL ABOUT 9 INCHES DEEP IN THE BACK SLOPING TO 4 INCHES IN THE FRONT. The coal in the front will not burn well, unless it is very cold, don't worry about that, just maintain the back pile as stated above, coal likes to be piled deep, and never,never,never touch or poke the coal. When adding the coal, do not pile too much at one time, try to leave some red coals exposed. You do not need to make any adjustment to you furnance, like I've read on some web sites. Yep it that simple and it works the same everytime.
afjerry

Re: Best coal --

Postby mainemtnman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:14 pm

I bought my Yukon II this summer, and it appears to be a very impressive unit. The company that installed it were also impressed with it.

I've been burning wood for 35 yrs, and have decided to try the coal route. When I do have the coal burning properly, I am convinced that it beats wood hands down. But I too am having a difficult time to stop it from dying out! I beleve all the technical/mechanical requirements are met.

Perhaps my biggest problem is my long term "wood burning" experience and the old saying "old habits are hard to break", as I'm starting to think after reading this post that I "touch, & rake" the coal too much!

The owners manual instructs anthradite coal to be mounded higher to the back and sloping downward toward the front, as NHDAN suggest. I was ding that by raking the coals, to that sloping.

At 28 degrees (out side) when I got up this morning, my coal fire was once again "dead" . I cleaned out the un-burnt coals, and re-kindled a new fire. This time I will add the coal to develope a slope by adding the coal, without raking.

NHDAN, I appreciate your comments and input, I am taking your suggestions very seriuosly, as I am a rookie to burning coal, but I look forward to knowing the secrets! Thank you!
mainemtnman

Next

Return to Wood and Coal Burning