swiss replica watchesreplica watches
80% of the replica watches uk market watch business, will be outsourced to replica watches Japan, Switzerland, several large factories to swiss replica watches produce. Today, Patek Philippe is the swiss replica watches only independent watch factory in Switzerland, the production line completely arranged their own. 20% use machine cutting, the rest of the eight is the use of hand.
Yukon-Eagle • View topic - Too warm to burn wood?

Yukon-Eagle

Wood furnace and wood burning forums

Skip to content

Too warm to burn wood?

Discussions on everything from flues to combustion air

Too warm to burn wood?

Postby northfriend » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:35 am

OK you wood burners. I have a question for you all. At what outside temperatures do you start to burn wood in your furnace? For us here in Michigan, we usually do not burn wood until the temperature is going to stay below 40 degrees. Anything warmer than that, and our furnace smolders, and we get a stale, smoke smelling house and outdoors. The smoke actually comes back in through our air make up vents we installed in the furnace room. The problem is we end up burning a lot of oil, waiting for winter to finally arrive. What do all you folks do? If you burn at higher outside temps, how do you do it? Thanks.
northfriend

Re: Too warm to burn wood?

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:52 pm

I am fortunate in that I have a wood stove located centrally in my home in the mountains of SW Virginia. I will use it for a while until it gets cold and then switch to the Super Jack. Other than that maybe you could try some aspen or poplar or some other lower btu wood and build the fire hot in the morning and night and then let it go out. I'm sure the fire brick and mass of the furnace will keep your house warm for a while. :)
Mike

Postby Keith Nelson » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:05 pm

It is real common for wood burner to want to burn too large of loads when it's mild out.
You would be much better offf burning very small loads of little wood that will burn hot and create a good draft.
Your Yukon will make a bunch of heat to satisfy the thermostat.Once the home is warm the stat will tell the wood control to shut down.Just the gravity heat will keep a stat satidfied for long periods with largewr loads ,hence the fire will cool and you begin to loose your draft causing back drafting.
Yukon Eagle Sales & Service
800-358-0060
..."if you have integrity nothing else matters....if you don't have it....still nothing else matters!"
Keith Nelson

Postby northfriend » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks folks. We also have a woodstove like you do, but with work schedules, drive time etc., we are just too lazy to keep it going all the time.When we do use it, temps between 40 and low 50s, it keeps the place comfortable. It keeps a fire going, all night, like our Yukaon, but just seems to require more time and patience. When we burn in our furnace, loading takes about 2 or 3 minutes, while the stove takes about a half hour each time. We love heating with wood. Have been doing it since 1985.
northfriend

Return to General